Promoting positive parenting
Intervention guide editor: Rosemarie Roberts
This intervention guide enables practitioners to support parents reinforce their children’s desired behaviour and shape challenging behaviour using a range of strategies, by helping parents to:
- understand the causes of difficult behaviour by exploring with them factors which contribute to challenging behaviour
- use praise and positive attention to increase behaviours which are most desired
- use attention and ignoring to withdraw attention from mild, inappropriate behaviour, e.g. complaining, whining, reassurance seeking and to respond to desired behaviours
- give effective instructions to avoid reinforcing a cycle of conflict
- provide appropriate rewards using different systems to achieve a successful outcome
- shape challenging behaviour using strategies such as consequences and sanctions, time out, externalising (e.g. ‘Defeating Temper’) and solution-focused approaches.
Purchase the guide
The guide can be purchased from Child and Family Training at a cost of £25.00 per copy plus postage and packing.
Cost for delivering a one day course are:-
- Fees for a group of 12 trainees (including a copy of this guide per person) - £960.00 plus trainers expenses + VAT.
- Fees for a group of 24 trainees (including a copy of this guide per person) - £1,920.00 plus trainers expenses + VAT.
If you wish to discuss any training courses or require further information please contact us.