Our focus is on supporting professionals who work with children and families to develop their competence and confidence in child-centred, evidence-based practice in assessment, planning and intervention in relation to:
- children’s developmental needs
- parenting capacity
- family and environmental factors
- planning interventions
The training aims to give participants both understanding and skills in:
- using assessment tools to make qualitative and (where relevant) quantitative evidence-based assessments
- interviewing and other approaches that maximise the engagement of children and family members
- analysis (and where relevant, planning) using nationally relevant frameworks.
We structure the courses so that participants have the opportunity to apply their learning in their work setting between training sessions, and we offer consultation between training days.
We provide participants with all the materials necessary to use the assessment tools. These can be accessed at our Members area using allocated passwords
Our trainers have been trained by the authors of each of the assessment tools and approaches
Meeting your training needs
We offer both open courses to individuals, and courses commissioned by agencies to train groups of staff, tailored to:
- their national context
- the needs of the setting – e.g. single agency, multi-agency or multidisciplinary.
We also license and train agency-based trainers so that they can deliver the courses within their own agencies over time.
Find out more about specific courses:
- Assessing parenting and the family life of children
- Assessing families in complex child care cases using the Family Assessment
- Child protection decision-making
- Giving children a voice: direct work with children using the In My Shoes interview
- Attachment Style Interview – adoption and fostering (ASI-AF)
- Attachment Style Interview – child care (ASI-CC)
- Training agency-based trainers
- Childhood Neglect Training Courses
- Training the Trainers: Childhood Neglect Courses
Contact us to discuss your agency’s or individual training needs, costs and any other questions.